Migrant boats: Thousands saved off Libyan coast over Easter
Published On : 2017-04-17 07:10:59
<< Back to previous
   

Thousands of migrants have been saved from the sea near Libya during one of the busiest weekends of the year for rescue workers.


More than 2,000 people were rescued on Friday and 3,000 on Saturday in dozens of separate rescues, the Italian Coast Guard said.


But at least seven people drowned as aid workers struggled to rescue more than 1,500 migrants in one operation.
An eight-year-old boy was among the dead, rescue workers said.
An earlier agency report said 20 bodies had been recovered by the Migrant Offshore Aid Station (Moas), but this was later corrected.


Moas said its rescue started in the early hours of Saturday and had continued non-stop into Sunday afternoon.
The group said it had rescued at least 453 people, but more than 1,000 remained in danger. 

Continue reading here

 
 
CPC determined to eradicate corruption within party
 
Sierra Leone attends Media Cooperation Forum on Belt and Road in China
 
Sierra Leone's Kelvin Doe amongst the 2017 most Influential Young Africans
 
Saif Gaddafi's Release Gives Greater Role to General Haftar in Reunifying Libya
 
Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif resigns over Panama Papers verdict
 
Nigerian Group releases Mid-Term Report on Buhari’s administration